Rail Cloth

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 23:47:12 -0500

On Tue, 25 Apr 1995 Yardbird47@aol.com wrote:

> What do you folks use to replace the cloth on a Steinway grand action hammer
> rail. Even the .85mm flange  bushing cloth is pretty thick and spongy. Two
> days ago, I tried out some nameboard felt but suspect that by the time this
> action change is finished, I will have replaced it for something stronger.
> (Maybe I should just order Steinway's 004430 at $10 the strip. But it's
> black, and black is for widows and scarlet is sexier....)

I guess I do lots of widows, then because I find that the damper guide
rail felt (#004407 - black) works wonderfully.  It's self-adhesive and
thin.  Only $2 per strip (I think it's 56" long...).  Ask Glorie about
it.  I don't know of any red stuff like that.  Maybe Fletcher Newman in UK?

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html