Free-Nets and NPTN now #4 Online Service!

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 13:23 -0500 (EST)

This came from the administration at Prairienet.  I thought it was interesting.

Ron

>Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 07:54:05 CDT
>Sender: ip-l@prairienet.org
>From: fletcher@prairienet.org (Karen Fletcher)
>To: Multiple recipients of list <ip-l@prairienet.org>
>Subject: Free-Nets and NPTN now #4 Online Service!
>
><<< PERMISSION GRANTED TO RE-POST THIS MESSAGE ON ANY
>COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LISTSERVE PROVIDED THE CONTENT IS
>NOT CHANGED >>>
>
>  The National Public Telecomputing Network (NPTN),
>taken as a whole, is now the fourth largest consumer
>online service in the country.  With almost 380,000 users
>on its 53 affiliated systems, NPTN ranks behind CompuServe,
>America Online and Prodigy; but has now pulled ahead of
>such commercial systems as Delphi, e.World, and GEnie.
>As follows:
>
>      CompuServe       2.700,000 users
>      America Online   2.000,000 users
>      Prodigy          1.300,000 users
>      NPTN               379,378 users
>      Delphi             140,000 users
>      e.World             80,000 users
>      GEnie               75,000 users
>
>   These seven online services represent between 85-90% of
>the total online audience in this country.
>
>   NPTN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered
>in Cleveland, Ohio.  Its mission is to help communities
>develop and operate locally-oriented community computer
>systems--often called Free-Net's (R).
>
>   Similar to PBS or National Public Radio, after an
>affiliate comes online, NPTN provides them with high-
>quality network-wide information and communication feeds
>(called "cybercasts") to supplement what they are able to
>develop locally.
>
>   NPTN currently has 53 affiliates online with 30 more
>systems already fully-funded for 1995.  In addition to
>these online systems, it has 118 organizing committees
>operating in 41 states and 10 countries.  NPTN expects to
>have over 100 affiliates associated with it by the end
>of 1995.
>

>---
>Tom Grundner
>President, National Public Telecomputing Network
>Office Address: 30680 Bainbridge Road, Solon, Ohio 44139
>Mail Address:  P.O. Box 1987  Cleveland, Ohio 44106
>e.Mail: tmg@nptn.org  Telephone: 216-498-4050  Fax: 216-498-4051
>

>Karen Fletcher                              fletcher@prairienet.org

Ron Berry, RPT (Registered Piano Technician)
ronberry@iquest.net

Check out the Piano Page at http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html
for some great information and links about pianos!