Beehives & humor

JHarvey440@aol.com JHarvey440@aol.com
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 03:00:55 -0400

> Jim Harvey, you hit the nail on the head.  Your post made me
> chuckle.

That was by design, Barbara. If you didn't chuckle, I'd be losing my touch
for cynical (but accurate) wit.

> The pianist is a little old woman with a beehive hairdo,
> in fact all the women at that church have beehive hairdos.
> I must admit I dont know my Bible verses--where are beehive
> hairdos mentioned?

Is there gonna be a test on this? Do's, whether hair or otherwise, are not in
the Bible, just don'ts. In this case, the phenomenon comes from local or
secular, rather than Biblical or historical rules of order. For many years,
many things were forbidden in churches, and varied depending on particular
denominations. Forbidding strong drink and dancing were common to many, but
the hairdo seemed to focus on the evangelical sects. The females were
forbidden (or at least strongly discouraged) from using makeup, wearing
certain types of clothing, and various other parameters as part of their
religious credos. The hair was one of the few areas of individuality that was
not on the "no-no list". The ladies, without being expressly forbidden this
point of vanity, simply took advantage of the situation and, uh, "optimized"
on it.

My apologies to others here for going off-topic.

-jh-