After the Appraisal

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Fri, 01 Dec 1995 18:58:01 -0500

Jeff Stickney rote, 12/1:
<<I have tried to be honest with the callers and tell them up front that this
puts me in an akward position, but they just say they understand and go on
with their questions.  Any hard and fast rules here, or is this a caller by
caller judgement call?>>

Yes, it's an uncomfortable position. My best idea is this: Usually a piano
being sold would like to be tuned (to sound atttractive). During the tuning,
I can find out anything that seller or buyer would want to know. At the end
of the tuning, the owner gets a verbal report, with a brief sketch thereof on
the invoice. The owner should understand that you develped this information
for him and his purposes, he has paid you for it, now owns it, and thereby is
the one to further distribute it. IOW, anyone whom he has told that you
looked at the piano and know about it, will be refered back to him (the one
who now owns the info). The most useful step is to write up that information
clearly and professionally. The owner then will have it either stuck to his
refridgerator door or by the fax machine.
But if he's asking you to field such calls, then consider yourself engaged in
his sale, and thus eligible for a commission.

So that's how I would change the lightbulb.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"You won't see Mac users lining up at midnight to make their machines run
more like PCs running windows" LetEd 12/95 MacUser Mag

ps. I just read Larry Fine's take on this. Up to the nines, right down to the
last stitch!!