WHY Keep PTG Politics Off This Page?

Andrew M. Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Fri, 01 Dec 1995 22:16:30 -0700

[The topic of what belongs on the pianotech mailing list has come up again...]

Randy has some good points, Larry has some good points.  As an associate
with more experience in computer networking than as a piano technician,
I'd like to add a couple of quick comments:

First, mailing lists almost always contain more traffic discussing
which topics are appropriate than on the topics in question.  Often
this is because people respond before they read all their incoming mail
to find out a response was already sent.  More often it is sent by
people who don't get that much mail so they can't understand why the
extra overhead might be annoying to others.  Relatively speaking, there
really haven't been that many messages on PTG politics.

Second, splitting a list doesn't necessarily censor it or give anyone
control over it unless you want it to.  When a large mailing list
splits, everyone typically subscribes to both lists.  Then people drop
out of either list as they decide which one is boring them.  But you
often end up with plenty of extra mail from people complaining that a
message was sent to the wrong list.  (A controversial message posted to
both lists can cause you to wade through the pool of "flame" messages
for twice as long!)

Third, I think the type of list Larry suggested, a forum where those
interested in PTG issues can talk them out, is a great idea.  This
really hasn't been happening on "pianotech" and starting a list
specifically for that purpose might prevent it from ever happening
on this list.

Fourth, I think BYU has done a great thing by letting pianotech use
their resources.  Because I have a computer networking consulting
business, I also have a dedicated Internet connection (i.e. a machine
connected to the Internet 24 hours a day).  If anyone is worried about
finding resources for a PTG-related list, I would happily volunteer
to host an unmoderated (i.e. uncensored) list.

Finally: this list is very "mild" compared to others I've been on over
the years.  I personally find that over 90% of the messages, PTG related
or not, are interesting to me because I'm studying to become an RPT (many
of you probably feel that this message is in the other 10% -- sorry!).
If people think there is enough interest in discussing PTG matters on an
email list, I'd gladly lend a hand.  But so far I've not seen enough of
that type of traffic on pianotech to warrant a new list.

Thanks for listening,

-andy