RE Why Keep PTG Politics Of

MR DAVID M SWARTZ NKLP55A@prodigy.com
Sun, 03 Dec 1995 17:16:37 -0500 (EST)

Ken Sloan writes:
> I think the "dirty laundry" would benefit from being aired among
those
interested in PTG administration. Maybe, just maybe, people would
have a
chance to discuss sensitive issues throughout the year so that PTG's
yearly
council might run more smoothly. It may also shed some light on why
people
drop out of PTG.

Let's keep Pianotech technical in nature. I also support posts that
contribute
information about the piano industry in general such as sales and
market
statistics that reflect the flow and health of the piano industry.<

Indeed PTG constituents need a forum to further the betterment of our
organization.  I agree with Ken thoroughly.  Pianotech has gained in
popularity because of its technical nature.  Technicians who sign on
to this server have one thing in mind (please note, not the only
thing)...useful information to enhance the personal servicing of
clientele.  Many who exist here are striving for efficient methods in
piano technology, whether institutional, general public, or personal
educational enrichment.  The policies of PTG should indeed have a
place for every member (as a member, it is your responsibility) and
the time has come (considering the numerous possibilities of
communication here in the mid-90's) for an available pipeline that
membership may discuss the "internal issues".  Pianotech, though, is
not the place for detailed "blood & guts" type of political
discussion.  As Ken has mentioned, others who view this server have a
particular idea of what PTG is and what it represents.  Have we
forgotten the amounts of money we have dearly paid for our PTG image
through our organizational marketing efforts???  The freedom of
speech is not thwarted here, but free speech in unappropriated public
view very well may create a deprecatory end result.  I believe anyone
involved with PTG does not desire the non-member to ascertain an
unrealistic image of who we are and what we are about.

Ken also writes:

> But there is no good reason to involve people
without a vested interest in the organization of our political
affairs. They
should be encouraged and helped educationally  by caring
professionals and
later, if they join and are inclined, help to shape the political
structure of
PTG.<

Ditto

Dave Swartz, RPT