Pricing Policies

Don Rose drose@maple.net
Mon, 04 Dec 1995 21:08:28 -0800

Hi Avery:

>   At the request of some piano teachers on the piano list, I would like to
>ask a question. Can anyone explain why some tuners charge more for tuning a
>grand than a vertical? I'll admit I have never understood that either, unless
>it's a "if they have a grand, they can afford more" syndrome. I would tend
>to want to charge more for something like a spinet than a grand if I charged
>different prices.
>   One teacher posted that she had been charged $40.00 for her vertical and
>$75.00 (I think it was) for her grand. FYI, there's been a tuning price
>thread going on.
>   Any input would be appreciated.
>
>Avery Todd
>atodd@uh.edu

I have heard that people who charge more for grand pianos do so because the client is likely
more discriminating--personally I agree with you--charge more for bad pianos and less for good
pianos. Of couurse, there is another can of worms called pitch corr
ection charges. When is it a tuning and when is it pitch correction. My own personal definition
for domestic tuning is over 4 cents up or 2 cents down is a pitch correction. For concert level
work I allow a change of 2 cents up or 1 cent down.

Regards, Don Rose RPT drose@maple.net