Una corda regulation

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 04 Dec 1995 23:08:07 -0500

        In regulating the una corda pedal,  the hammer spacing is the
critical limiting factor.The pedal should offer the pianist 4 distinct
1. full contact
2. full contact, but off the main grooves
3. contact on the two treble side strings,(trichord), and
   grazing the bass side string
4. contacting only two strings.

         Of the four positions,  # 3 requires the most careful spacing, but
when done properly, there arises a "voice" at that particular pedal position,
rather than there being a small range of inconsistant sound from note to note
as the pedal moves all the hammers from #2 to #4.

        As an aside, I have used  a tool designed to space Steinway hammer
flanges by twisting them from side to side. I no longer use it, because,while
it effects a change of spacing, I find that the spacing is not nearly as
permanent as papering the flanges.  In a heavy use, university, environment,
the extra time in spacing everything as permanently as possible pays
dividends in performance and longevity,(IMHO).
Regards
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn.