Re Twisting Bass Strings #2

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 09:29:45 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:08 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Twisting Bass Strings #2           Date:  12/6/95

This version contains some instruction that I left out in the first.

--------------------ORIGINAL POST-------------------

At our last chapter meeting, the pres. noticed my bass stringing job on an
"O" Steinway. He asked how many turns I had put on these strings. I told him
that I was of the school of thought to abstain from twisting new bass
strings. He posed the question during when the meeting started: "Should we
twist new bass strings?" The ones that commented indicated a half twist for
the most part. A Baldwin factory tech inserted that all their bass strings
were twisted in the factory.

What are some of your comments please?

Richard Boyington
Piano Technical Coodinator
Amro Music
Memphis, TN

-----------------------MY REPLY----------------------

I always twist bass strings when installing. In fact, I twist them more than
one turn if the string's resistance to torsional force will allow. Factory
reps out there correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is common practice
with virtually all manufacturers.

To determine how much to twist, I cut and coil the string on the tuning pin
and drive it into the block. I then go to the hitch pin end and twist the
string with  my fingers, using a pair of pliers on the braided part of the
wire to keep the string from untwisting when I release my hand from the string
to prepare for another twist. I do not twist the string any further when it
"feels uncomfortable" to continue twisting. I do this about every five notes
or so to determine when more twists are needed. During the stringing process,
when I am not determining how much to twist, I twist the strings from the
tuning pin side after coiling the string on the pin.

I find that a half to one twist is all that is necessary with the real fat
strings and that very fine wound strings usually need about three full twists.
After the piano is strung and up to pitch and the hammer action is mated well
to the strings, I will go through and "voice" the bass strings, giving dull
sounding strings a little more of a twist if necessary.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory