Long term Schraffed

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 19:48:21 -0500

        I have been using the Mapes schraffed strings for 15 years.  Many of
 these sets are in recording studios, many others are in a university's music
school.  I have to say that the difference in tone is subtle, but the
difference is durability is significant.  I see far less problems such as
oddball overtones and dead strings on pianos that I strung with schraffed
strings.
      In my experience,the twisting is required whether or not the string is
schraffed.   I had poor results on the only job I installed schraffed strings
with no twist.  Thankfully, there was a quite tight block, and after letting
them down, and twisting them 1 1/2 turn, they responded as though they were a
different set.  The twist is important.
regards,

Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works