Yamaha digital tuning scope

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 23:40:03 -0500

>longer to get through a tuning if you are constantly fiddling with the tuner
>to get the next pitch for the next key on the piano?
>
>Unless someone can show me better, I still feel that the best tuning is done
>aurally.  I use a digital tuning tool to find the current pitch of the piano
>and then tune the temperament octave using the tuner only as an aid and not
>as an absolute.

Daryl,

I tuned with an Accutuner for two years and can tell you it has its benefits.
 Having a note-by-note tuning is not as time consuming as you might think and
can oftentimes speed a more troubling tuning.  There are gadgets out there
which allow a hands-off tuning with the Accutuner, allowing your hands to
remain unencumbered by buttons.

However, I dumped my accutuner six months ago because of an enlightening
experience and have since sold it and become aware of my Accuholism.  Our
local AA (Accutuners Anonymous) meets monthly, we realize we are very sick
and each day is a step toward better aural tuning.  I am tempted daily by
some spinet or rowdy old upright, but I RESIST!  Oh well, one day at a time.

I have found, since I've been back on the aural wagon, that my tunings take
the same time (or less) and sound appreciably better.  I would freak out when
I saw a number in the cents window such as -20.00 or -15.01, but now I don't
know exact numbers- and more importantly- I don't care.
My advice to you:  If you are tuning well by ear, keep tuning by ear.  If you
want help, practice.  There is nothing to teach your ear in a little plastic
box.

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com

P.S.  I also like having all that extra space in my tool case.