PIANOTECH digest 164

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 19:48:45 -0800

From: ATodd@UH.EDU

Subject: Pricing Policies

>Can anyone explain why some tuners charge more for tuning a=20
>grand than a vertical?

Avery Todd

Poor business practice would be my first response.  After some thought and a=
 few video games, I would say it's something I've never done.  I've been=
 asked by some customers if I charged differently, which would indicate that=
 some tuners do charge differently based on piano type.  The rationale is=
 easy to associate with the school of thought, "If you own a grand, you can=
 afford to pay more".  Some technicians may actually do little extras for=
 their grand customers on each trip because those type of piano owners=
 typically like to have their pianos (pampered) serviced at a higher level=
 than those who own spinets.  Spinet owners typically just want the dang=
 thing tuned, grudgingly writing the check they recall having it tuned 14=
 years ago by a blind alcoholic that smelled and was dressed in a dog eaten=
 wool sport jacket..........or so I've been told so many times.  I'd be=
 curious to hear a constructive reason Avery.

:
>It seems to me that PTG organizational matters might find less resistance=
 on
>Pianotech if the postings focused on issues, rather than mudslinging.=
 Rational,
>respectful debate of issues can enlighten and mutually benefit all sides,
>whereas mudslinging and rumor spreading is designed to damage and discredit
>individuals; this obscures the issues and irritates readers.
>
>Bill Spurlock

THIS DESERVES TO BE FRAMED AND POSTED IN A CONSPICUOUS PLACE.

Amen Brutha.

                                        +++++++++++++++
 political differences create emotional situations for certain people --=
 it's the stuff that wars are made of. I don't think we can expect=
 mudslinging not to occur on Pianotech if the internal politics of PTG are=
 discussed thereon.

>Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

UNLESS!!! We all agree to keep our collective heads where they belong,=
 remain constructive, impersonal and objective.  If someone has a particular=
 grudge against a particular someone, handle it with particular email to=
 that particular adr.  Politics bore me and so I'm ignorant and proud of it.=
  I'm politically illiterate, and I intend to stay that way.  I'm not going=
 to lower myself to the level of communications used by those who feel they=
 have to sling mud to get their message across.  Mud slinging is cheap.  Get=
 a grip, get some class, make your point with out waving your dirty diaper=
 at us all.  I say this without pointing a finger, and if you feel this post=
 is aimed at you, DUCK.   (quack, quack)

>Personally, I hate politics.
>
>Bob Hohf

Glad to hear I'm not alone.

 PTG should have its own
>electronic forum. Even it is a bit pricey, I bet the communication that=
 could
>occur between Annual Councils would justify the cost.
>
>Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

The pressure's on ........(I agree!)
From: DefTuner@aol.com

Subject: Re:Re-scaling software

>>visit the WinScale Homepage at:
>>
>>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mdierauf

David Denison, RPT

This is the meet and postatoes of this list.  Discovering information, new=
 methods, tools and their review, policies in the field, basic honing of the=
 trade for the increased benifit of the masses.  Keep the focus eh??

>Does anyone know the expression "bust a gut", what it means, and/or where=
 it
>originates?
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT

Well Keith, as little bozos we giggled, snickered and laughed (usually as a=
 result of a large dose of sugar) until we dripped drozzle out of the=
 corners of our mouths and our little bellys were so sore it hurt to laugh.=
 About 15 year ago, some fellow technicians and I were cruising Kansas City=
 and we were carrying on in a most undignified manner, telling the largest=
 lies we could think of.  I was in the back seat spewing false witness=
 freely and laughing constantly.  The position I was in was rather cramped=
 and the laughing action caused abrasion if you will, betwixt my lowest rib=
 and my diaphragm.  Between the libatious effects and the aforementioned=
 abrasions,  I hurt for days afterwards but is was a good hurt eh? (I know,=
 that's kinky)  One might of said I busted my gut laughing that evening.  My=
 friends said other things about me but I won't go into that right now.  I=
 hope this helps.  If not, I can be persuaded to share with you some of the=
 wisdom gained from that evening's talent for fiction

Yet another fine finish to a multiflavoured poste.

For those of you who have a zen for correct spelling, and loss of the "a",=
 ears a few extra.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That oughta last ya.
 =20

                                   Larry Fisher, Metro Portland, Or.
                      Factory Preferred Installer for PianoDisc Products
                     phone 360-256-2999 or Email larryf@pacifier.com
                      live life with variety and stare adversity in the eye!=
!