Pricing Policies

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 23:06:04 -0700

The thread about pricing policies between grands and uprights has been quite
interesting. I don't differentiate on basic rates myself, but know of those
who do charge more for basic tunings on grands.

If it's the results I'm charging for often the upright customer should be
charged more as I usually tweak a few capstans or letoff screws or even out
the voicing at no charge just because everything is out in the open and it
may only take a few seconds. Doing the same thing on a grand could take an
extra five or ten minutes just because it has to be unscrewed and the action
removed and replaced a few times.

I feel charging more for grands is justified if EVERY time you charge more
you do extra service. It should be made clear to the customer that the extra
charge IS for extra service though, and that service must be delivered. Some
customers may not want anything extra and for those you either drop the
price or drop the customer.

That's my two cents, anyway...

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com             sysop@f67.n134.z1.fidonet.org