Pricing policies, etc.

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 16:13:24 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, David Porritt wrote:

> I think we should always do our best work.  Tuning as well as we can be it
> old upright or new Steinway.  There is, however, the realization that no
> matter what I do to this 36" Whitney it will not sound good.  After an
> hour making as good a compromise as possible on it, 8 more hours (of
> tuning) just won't improve it.  We can really lower our frustration level
> when we realize that fact.
>
> Dave Porritt
> SMU - Dallas

This is very true: the 36" will never sound "good", but it may be the
owner's only alternative to _no_ piano.  We knew about the reverse curve
when we decided to be piano tuners: the cheapest are the most expensive
to maintain.  I often share this irony with my customers.  I then assure
them that I will do everything in my power to assure that the piano at
least sounds better than before when I finish.  I spend a minimum of two
hours on every piano.  I also tell the customer that the results will be
even better if they don't wait so long before the next tuning.

I got into tuning in the early sixties because none of the tuners I could
find at the time could meet my standards as a pianist.  I still tune
every piano as though it were my own, and the only one I possess.

I have been glad to see the overall integrity of our profession become
apparent in this thread.  Truth be known, I would be tempted to charge
more for the dogs and pay someone for the thrill of tuning a nice grand,
but that just won't fly! ;-}

Gordon Wilson
Keyboard Studio
Urbana, Illinois