Steinway bass string scales

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 08:04:30 -0500

Hi, All,
      Mapes has scale sticks for all S&S pianos and will match the scale
exactly if it is a "repair" string.
      If it is a "replacement" _set_ then they shorten the lathe settings to
you end up with shortened copper at the agraffe.
      Earlier I kept wondering why the set I removed from a piano sounded
better than the new set of strings.  Inharmonicity increases by the fourth
power of the distance unwound.  As soon as I realized this I started sending in
winding specifications instead of ordering a set by name, rank and serial
number.
      Often I find I can inprove a piano scale by designing my own strings
and enjoy the process except the measuring procedure.
      I don't think any factory will give out their scale specs to just any
one, but they will sell you repacement strings or repacement sets, except some
of the foreign people.
            Newton
            nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu