Piano Catapulted

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@mcn.net
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 20:20:40 -1000

This week on TV a man in England was featured who had built a huge catapult.
This catapult was similar to those when armies in the old days would hurl
huge boulders into the castle. This old English chap seemed a bit
mischievous and had a smile on his face as he set out to have some fun with
this contraption.

As he starts to demonstrate, an old upright piano appeared and  someone
played a few notes. He then ties this old upright to the business end on the
catapult and fired the thing. In a second this piano was flying through the
air like a Boeing 747, probably two or three hundred feet. I was surprised
at the height and distance this catapult could deliver. He then tied on a
compact car and fired it out there about the same distance.

Both the piano and car landed a distance out in the field, both smashed to a
pile of junk--and all this on camera.  "All the king's horses and all the
king's technician's could not put this junkity piano back together again.

So, you think this might be a joke. This actually was on "Dateline" or one
of those type shows this week about  Wednesday, Dec. 13.  I was just
watching kind of half way while doing something else and became more aware
when the piano came on the scene.  My VCR would have been taping had I known
the piano was going to be involved.  It would have been fun to show this
event at a PTG chapter meeting.

Surely someone besides myself must have seen this show. I didn't see the
first part so I did'nt see what delivered the power. Let's hear from some of
you who could add to this.

Sy Zabocki (Billings. MT)
only4zab@mcn.net