Powertool Questions

Lorlin D. Barber Lorlin_D._Barber@commonlink.com
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 07:27:45 +0000 (GMT)

I am in the planning stages for a new rebuilding shop. I remember a class at
the Kansas City PTG National a couple years ago, that I missed.

What I want to decide immediately is the cost effectiveness of a RADIAL ARM
DRILL PRESS. The one I have looked at is a Craftsman 34", 360 degree
rotation, one third HP, 5 speed motor. Are these type drills adaptable for
pinblock drilling? Are they worth the investment for hammer boring?

Another question is in the field of Bandsaws. I have read about them in "Band
Saw Handbook" by Sterling. Good book. Sterling infers that band saws can be
just as accurate as a table saw. Of course the main use is for cutting
pinblock planks. But getting the most for the buck is the quest here as
opposed to owning two saws that take up space. Are table size bandsaws enough
for piano work? Is a full size high quality bandsaw worthy of any addition
cost when it comes to ripping, etc.?

Does anyone remember who taught the class at KC PTG about shop setup? Is he
or she in the PTG Directory?

Thanks for your time reading and responding to this!

Happy Holidaze to all!

Lorlin Barber, RPT