Powertool Questions

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:53:46 -0800 (PST)

Lorlin,
      The class on "Setting up Shop" which you mentioned was taught by
Joe Garrett, RPT.
      Band saws *can* be quite accurate, but usually aren't. It's all
in the set-up. If you spend some extra money for bi-metal blades, you can
increase the tension on the blade to the point that it won't flex and
distort so much. This will increase the accuracy a lot. It also helps to
set up the blade bearings and guides correctly.
      I use my 12" Craftsman bandsaw for pinblocks, and it's just barely
sufficient for some blocks. I also have a small table saw which is handy
for a lot of things, especially when the bandsaw is jigged up for one
thing and I need to make another kind of cut and don't want to disturb
the bandsaw jigging.
      Good luck!

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide