Unbuttoned Jacks

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:41:46 -0500

Bill,
Its been a while since I rejuvinated an older S&S action, but I remember
using shims of
key bushing cloth behind the existing felt in the window.  It was firm =
stable, but by placing it behind the old felt that was there, left the softer
= silenter contact area that was already compressed (to the extent that it
does from the particular occasional wapping of the jack).  I experimented
first with one in the heavy play range and one in the top/ bottom octave
areas, then used the results as a formulae to speed operations.  (It was
still very time consuming.)   Look forward to reading other's / better ways!

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle