modern ears, historical temperaments

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 14:22:33 -0500

I am working on our harpschord and fortepiano professor to include Young, et
al, in her studio classes, but she keeps saying, equal at 440, when I ask.  I
think I will tune apractice room piano in VY and see what falls out.

I have been doing the Ben Johnston micro tonal temperaments for performances
and recently for a recording session.  These are very interesting sounds, but
at all related to historical, more like hysterical termpeaments.  VERY hard to
tune aurally.

Best of the season to you all!

Newton
nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu