"Highway Robbery?" - Rebuttal

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 23:31:51 -0500

Colette,

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else in the group with the use of the
particular phrase "highway robbery."  If you would look back at my original
post, I stated that "If the bill included $400 for labor then it was a case
of highway robbery."  From the original post that I was answering, I was
unable to ascertain if this was the total bill or just the labor charge.
 While this price doesn't seem out of line for a complete system with
installation, $400 for labor would be 10 hours at $40 or $400 for the 1 hour
that it typically takes to install a system! In fact, perhaps I poorly
represented my viewpoint.  I was attempting to state that we _should_ make a
fair profit on parts, charge for our time and our expertise, and present
ourselves in a professional and competent manner at all times.  While the
above mentioned term may have proven offensive out of the intended context
I'm not sure that it falls out of the realm of "common sense or good
judgement."   However, I will add another reread before any future post to
try to avoid the same kind of misunderstanding.  BTW, If anyone is getting
this kind of fee for this service in their part of the country, I'm sure that
every technician would want to move there.

Merry Christmas and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com