Steinway monkey connection

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 23:53:54 -0800

>From: k.swafford@genie.com

>     The hanger loop that connects the Steinway sostenuto monkey to
>the sostenuto lifter blade is soldered into place.  It is common for
>the loop joint to become wobbly and not uncommon for the loop to come
>off completely.  What are appropriate tools, material, and procedures
>for reattaching the loop to the lifter blade?

Kent, I've seen super glue work very well in this area.  The fit must be a tight mechanical fit
to begin with.  The holes and the surrounding area must be free of lube, dirt, oxidation, or
anything else that would jeopardize the bonding action of the glue
.  Super glue holds metal to metal very well.

Resoldering the joint is a pretty good idea if your any good with a small torch.  Once again,
clean the area really well.  The joint may have failed in the first place because of
contamination of some kind.  Heat the loop ends, and clean with steel wool.
 Mike the wire used to make the loop in an unsoldered area and choose the same sized drill bit
to clean the holes in the sos rail.  Put an ample dab of flux on the loop ends and re-insert
in the rail.  Resolder using some good quality solder.  Rosin core
solder would probably work, as would acid core, but I've had fairly good results with just plain
old solder.  Allow the solder to cool by itself and re-install the rail in the piano.

A number of techs indicated the use of a small butane torch.  It sounds ideal for this purpose.
I've always used a standard sized propane torch, lately with Mapp gas, and have never needed
anything else.   But then, I solder coax connectors in the field
without burning my pinkies, when I do remote location ham radio stuff.

Good luck
                                     Larry Fisher, Metro Portland, Or.
                      Factory Preferred Installer for PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or Email larryf@pacifier.com
                      live life with variety and stare adversity in the eye!!