Perfect

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 20:51:21 -0500

I have a similar "problem" with perfect pitch.  If I tune an A to 440 and
someone recognizes it as an A, fine.  But as I start to loosen the tension
slowly, when does it become NOT an A?  When does it become officially an A
flat?  I say there are people who have pitch MEMORY.  They recognize a pitch
they have heard before and the name it was given, and anything close to that
pitch qualifies as that note.

I was unfortunate to start this argument about 14 years ago with a (now)
friend who took the same tuning course I did.  She claimed that her "perfect
pitch" interfered with her ability to tune because of having to temper the
intervals.  However she also plays flute .. with other musicians.  It is also
my contention (and I am a violinist) that all instrumentalists who play
together are constantly adjusting their pitch to accomodate the other
players.  I have no proof of this.