Electronic Tuning

Ken Hale kenhale@dcalcoda.com kenhale@nccn.net
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 10:12:49 +0000

On 23 Dec 95 at 0:19, Sy Zabrocki wrote Electronic Tuning:

> Occasionally there is some slight reference as to whether the Accu-Tuner or
> any electronic tuning aid (ETA) is accurate. I tuned aurally for 31 years
> and scoffed at the Sight-O-Tuner for years. Who wants to fuss with all that
> measuring and fiddle with the calculator card. Being a electronic nut it
> interested me but still it seemed like too much trouble.

Hi,

My experience has been somewhat similar to Sy's, although not nearly
as long.(g)

I did not get an SAT till the FAC came out and now find it an
important tool in my toolkit. As a tool, it is only as good as the
tool-pusher.(Even with the best screwdriver, you can still butter the
head)

When I first got it, I went thru a 6 month or so period of "testing"
it and myself. I finally decided that we were in agreement and use it
all the time now. I still listen and test my tunings aurally and
actually enjoy that process also, because it is like a song to me.

The thread on perfect pitch is an interesting one. Perfect pitch is
right up there with "You must be a performing artist or a teacher"
questions that clients ask me.(g) A local technician did an informal
study of 5 or so of his clients that were said to have perfect pitch.
His findings were interesting. One person, indeed had pretty
remarkable pitch recognition. Some were better with some notes that
others. One person could nail the naturals, but had trouble with the
sharps.(Her mother had been a beginning piano teacher, so maybe this
woman had grown up listening to the key of C)

One question I always have about perfect pitch is what did the people
a hundred or two years ago do when the pitch used to vary, I
understand, from 430 (or lower) to 462? Was their pitch only accurate
in the Duke of Fifedom's palace?

Merry Christmas.

Ken Hale, RPT

PianoDB: http://www.dcalcoda.com