Key dip question

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 13:23:22 -0500

Question posed by pianist:

>>>Is there any way to adjust the key depth on a piano so the key response
happens more at the surface?<<<

Don Mannino wrote:

There are just too many possibilities for why this pianist is asking this
question. A high-mass action, especially with mis-matched leverage and / or
weighting will make the pianist feel that they must go too deep to play
lightly
/ softly. Excess friction at the knuckle could also generate this complaint.
Improper regulation (of course) could be involved - you didn't say if you
personally know it to be in good regulation, of if that comment came from the
pianist, who may not really know.

You can decrease the hammer blow and key dip, but it's not likely the pianist
will like what is lost in the process. And repetition would probably suffer.

Sounds like it could be a fun project! A pianist who is asking this kind of
question is probably pretty sensitive, and could be satisfying to work for.
MY REPLY:

Thanks for the thoughts.  I have personally regulated this action and made
measurements (charted for accuracy).  It is important to regulate, check the
friction,  geometry, and matching  of the leverage and/or weighting, before
trying to remedy problems.  This piano started as a disaster.  Nothing had
been done to it in the 5 years of it's life, but a terrible voicing job.  I'm
convinced there were problems from the factory.  The pianist was told the
piano needed to break in.   I think 5 years of steady use is long enough.

This piano played like a truck and had no repetition.  I hesitate to say what
I did to remedy the major problems with this action, as it does take ten
techs to screw in a light bulb.  BUT, I did find a terribly regulated action,
matched leverage to light hammers, low friction, and geometry that was
somewhat suspect.  Key ratio was fine, as was wippen ratio.  Shank ratio was
suspect, as it varied  widely.   Hammers were set out on the shank  from
129mm in the high treble to 131.5 mm in the bass, with less and more in
between.  Because of knuckle placement the shank ratio wasn't right with the
hammers out that far on the shank.  After listening to the piano, I could
tell the areas the shank ratio varied were also the areas the tone  and
control varied.  I moved the hammers in on the shanks to 128 mm (still about
a 7.1:1 ratio on this piano), regulated  & voiced, and the action worked
nicely.  The sound has became brighter since I did the work, but rechecking
the strike point & steaming should work great.  Maybe this isn't  how others
would solve the problem, but that's how it panned out for me.

I only met the pianist this summer and he his very sensitive to the
instrument.   I don't know how he stood playing this S&S B as it was.  He has
worked very diligently to better himself and this last summer won an
international competition in Paris (who knows what competition).  Because
people in his area and school are now recognizing his skill, he is able to
get the work done on pianos he needs.  It has been very gratifing to work
with him, even though we have trouble at times talking the same language.  As
one problem gets solved another comes up, but we both feel we are on the
right path.  This all started with his complaint of no repetition.

He has the advantage of playing in different parts of the country on
different pianos and being sensitive to how they feel when he plays them.  It
has been fun working with him.  He can now get things done he has needed and
I can help him realize those changes are not totally impossible.

His original question could be a question about actually changing the
mechanics of a piano or it could be he has noticed a change that occurs from
climate.  Climate changes happen here in a very short time.  I wanted to make
sure I had all the mechanics angles covered.

I know this pianist's school doesn't have the money, but I would love to put
one of David Stanwood's action's in this S&S B.  This particular person would
really appreciate it.

Tim Coates