Damppchasers/Again

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 14:57:24 -0500

Thanks Randy (and others) for the very informative essay on the dampp chaser/
plate bolt discussion.  Perhaps one additional thought regarding the
installation of the humidifier on grand pianos.  As mentioned earlier, I have
always installed the humidifier in the center of the piano under the frame
because of the limited number of possible locations underneath most grand
pianos, especially the Steinway B.  I have seen typical B installations with
the humidifier in the very front corner, spine side, behind the keybed, and I
suppose this is according to DC guidelines.  That is the only location where
the box will fit in between the frame beams on a Steinway B.
Now, to me, on a seven foot piano, a humidifier installed in the very front
corner is going to have a marginal and an uneven effect on that board.
  Mounted centrally however, even if slightly lower, the hot moist air will
still rise up into the soundboard cavity, distributing  the humidity to the
soundboard more evenly and thoroughly.  If I need more humidification, and
most B's do, simply place them side by side right in the middle of the board,
with their ends pointing at the farthest extremes of the board.   OK  Randy
take over.

David Sanderson
Littleon, MA
PIANOBIZ@aol.com