Laptop Computer Tuner

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 18:33:26 -0500

- - - - - Original - - - - -

>>> <Gilreath@aol.com> 12/05/95 08:23pm >>>
The one thing that I would like to see developed is a
program and peripheral to use on a laptop computer (if the
battery would last through a typical day of tuning).

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com

- - - - - One Reply - - - -

It's on it's way.  A fellow who worked for Novell  in Provo, Utah
quit his job a few months ago to devote full time to the project.
His intended end result it that anyone with a PC and a sound card
can tune his/her own piano.

Jack

jack_reeves@byu.edu

- - - - - Another Reply - - - -

Your friend in Provo may be a day late and a dollar short.
Dean Reyburn has been working on such a program for over a year, and last
summer, at the PTG Convention in Albuquerque, I went up to his room and test
drove it.
It was not *ready* yet, at least he was not selling it yet, but it worked -
and it worked good!
I am going to get one, just as soon as I get a lap top, so I can try it out.
(I was waiting for the new PowerMacs to come out, and now that they are here,
well, they are kind of spendy. Since I don't have a Univ. to buy it for me, I
have not jumped on it - yet. But I will, soon.)
At any rate, consider the possibilities (Sounds like a Cell One ad):
  With computer on the seat beside you, you set out on your first tuning call
of the day.
  Name, address, directions, dog's name, kid's names, piano info, are all
there, on the screen. If you are late, you hit a button, which dials their
phone, and talk to them over your computer while you keep both hands on the
wheel.
  You drive up, fold it up, go in, open it up and use it however you do when
you tune.
  Then, you pull up the biller section, hit a few buttons, and plug in the
the small portable printer that is also in your tuning kit.
  Hit print, and out comes the completed bill, along with a notice of the
next tuning appointment, which you agreed to just a couple minutes ago.
  At the same time, it updates your calendar for their next tune, and makes a
note of the date it will automatically print out the mailer / reminder you
will send a couple weeks ahead of time.
  As you are doing all this, the computer just updated your files, so you
don't have anything to do when you get home - except charge the battery.
  Nifty idea, that lap top tuning program.
  And for those who are not aware, all of the above technology, including the
phone call on the lap top, are already here.
  Give Dean a call and find out about this, and other programs he has
developed for piano technicians - all for Mac, some for IBM. He is working on
IBM versions of those that are not already IBM compatible, so whichever you
have, Dean has it, or is working on it.

Randy Potter, R.P. T.