Soft Pedal Regulation

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 18:28:54 -0500

Dear Avery;

Steinway teaches that their intent is for the pedal to shift the action just
one-half of a string width. This way, the string moves from the harder,
packed down striking groove, to the softer area between the string grooves.

Since this area can be voiced softer, the tonal possibilities are increased.

They also angle the left side of the plain wire hammers, so the left-most
string sort of hangs out over the edge of the hammer during soft playing.

At least, that is what they taught when I attended their Factory Service
Seminar, and in their Concerts and Artists Division program at Steinway Hall.

If the hammers are not spaced properly to the strings, this may not work.

And some pianos have bass string-hammer angles just right (i.e. wrong),
particularly in the bass, so that certain types of spacings, and voicing will
not work well for that particular piano.

Other manufacturers have other recommendations and intentions for their own
pianos, and I am sure you will gather a number of differing opinions in the
different methods will work better on different pianos.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.