Kids programs

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 18:34:26 -0500

I have done a number of kids programs in schools.
The most successful, I think, have been when I have taken action models, set
them up on various tables around the room, divided the kids into groups of
four or five, one group per model - and had them study it.
After a few minutes - you can tell when they are done and ready to move on -
they go to the next model. And so on.
Beforehand, I give them instructions of what they can, and cannot, do to the
actions.
And I inform them that there will be a test when they have studied them all.
I ask questions about the differences between the various models and how they
work. Even first and second graders can find many worthwhile things to note.
Then I pass around action parts, and they circulate again, and find out which
action their parts fit on. Or why they would fit on a certain action if it
were larger, or smaller, or different in some way.
Then I open the piano, show them how the action works in the piano, and how
to tune a unison - with instructions never to do this at home because without
the correct tools they will ruin the piano. Only the piano technician can do
this!
And I even let a couple of them try to tune a unison, with my hand on theirs,
of course, to see that they don't do the *oops* thing, if there is time.
I show them how we use stick mutes, and I give them each a rubber bass wedge
mute - which they can use as a door stopper in their bedroom, if they like!
And a few days later, I get thank you letters, and drawings of the nice piano
tuner teaching the class, or tuning the piano, in the mail.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.