PTG Politics Apologetic

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 20:57:21 -0500

I just signed onto this list about a week or so ago, so I have no idea what
Randy said, should have said or shouldn't have said.  But as to who should
have access to the list, I do have a comment.

I am not an RPT.  However, many years ago I passed the tuning section of the
exam at over 90%.  I am well-respected by fellow technicians, sometimes more
respected than certain (but not most) RPTs.  I can perform what I would call
routine regulations and repairs just fine, and have done a nice job
restringing a bunch of uprights.  I know my limitations, and refer anything I
was confronted with outside of my level of expertise to one of my fellow
technicians with more experience.  In other words, I don't qualify as a
member, but I have a serious interest in the topic.

After finding out about this list, I would feel like I was being deprived of
a great opportunity for learning and also for presenting off-beat (ha ha)
problems that I might encounter if I was now denied access.  This is a great
forum, as far as I can tell.  Of course, I also have a sense of humor.  Maybe
that should be a requirement for participation.

I would concur, however, that the RPTs might want an area where they can
discuss PTG business, which is NOT the business of any of the rest of us.  On
a BBS I used to sign on to, which was run by an organization, there were
common areas which anyone could access, and a "members only" section which
would not allow access to non-members.  This was automatically determined by
the system, depending on the person's logon and password.  Perhaps something
similar might work.

If I had seen Randy's original "upsetting" message, maybe I would side with
those who gave him a hard time.  As it is, I have no opinion, except to vote
for my own access.

Barb Barasa
Sycamore IL