of benches, braces, plate repairs and wedgies

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu
Thu, 02 Feb 1995 05:18:00 -0500

Hi to all

Of the Artists benches we have the best are available from
Jannsen and have a new kind of mechanism which is kind of
scissors like and works well without noise for a long time.  They
also sell replacement sleeves for the ends of the bars that slide
back and forth in the guide grooves when the bench is adjusted up
and down.  We have a whole pile of worn out artist benches and
they all have the old kind of machine with a big shaft running
all the way through and a couple levers that move the seat up and
down.  They are worthless on stage but we use them in studios.
I was down at the Kimball factory once on a guild tour and they
wanted to show us the new hydraulic artist bench they had.  I sat
down and rocked back and forth and the thing squeaked like mad.
I was not impressed.
Steinway plate braces can be removed as long as you can remove
them by hand without any effort.  If they are stuck tight they
will not go back in and it is best to leave those in place.  I
say that and yet we had some group come in and take the brace out
of the D in the Auditorium so they could put in some kind of
sound pickup device.  When they were done the thing would not go
back in so the stage hands ground the ends of the brace down
enough to replace it.  I don't know when this happened.  I found
out about it when I restrung the thing and took the bar out for
easier access to dampers and strings.  Any pressure on the bar
now is taken by the screws.  It does not seem to have any affect.
Now and then I come across Steinways that do not have the little
metal wedge that goes between the horn and the crossblock.  This
thing falls out when you let the tension off for re-stringing.
I don't know how they could come out by themselves but maybe they
do.  I once forgot to put one in before I chipped.  I could not
even drive it in with a hammer.  I let the tension back down and
put it in place and held it with tape and started over.  Now and
then I find pianos that have that metal wedge missing and also
have new pin blocks that are fit very poorly.  They tune awful.
The Baldwin company had me wedge a pin block on an Howard C171.
This repair involves driving thin wooden wedges into the gap
between the block and the plate flange.  It worked fine.  I was
amazed at the difference in the way the piano tuned after wedging
the block.  I have used this repair on several other pianos with
badly fit pin blocks with good success.
Any comments?
Question was:
Is there anyone out there who has substantial experience
with broken plates.......?
--
A few years ago I attended a class about plates given by the man
from APSCO. I don't recall his name. The class covered everything

As you know this repair is tricky.  While it may be possible to
make the repair, you will not know if it was good until you are
able to tune it. That is to say by the time you remove the plate
and fix it and put it back in and string it and chip it up to
pitch, it either works or breaks again.

One of the repairs I learned about in this class which I use from
time to time involves fixing a hole in the casting where a string
must cross. This could be the capo bar or on uprights around the
V bar.  You drill out the hole to the size of a nail and drive
the nail into the hole and peen it down and smooth as needed with
a file.  It works.
Phil Sloffer                  Indiana University School of Music
psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu                          Bloomington IN