Mark Story MSTORY@ewu.edu
Fri, 03 Feb 1995 12:25:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ron,

>Things are just getting underway with my Bluethner rebuilding project and
>I'm trying to locate felt for various places -- understring felt,
>stringing braid, hitchpin punchings, etc.  Problem is, APSCO, Schaff and
>Renner don't appear to supply *cobalt blue* felt! Aye-yi-yi!  Anyone have
>a source for that color?

I rebuilt one of these for our State Capitol building in Olympia. I ran into
this same problem. I was in touch with the Kazimovs down in LA, but I don't
think they had a source either. Finally, I ended up bleaching and redying some
standard cloth. Sorry.

>While I'm at it -- has anyone here modernized the action in a Bluethner
>(ie. replaced the old quasi-English action with modern wippen, capstan
>and hammershanks/flanges)?  I understand that Jim Reeder (Michigan Piano

Is this the one they call the "Erard" action? Our Capitol piano had this.
Curious thing, the old hammers were overstriking to an extreme degree. When I
replaced them, I compromised and lengthened the bore - but I don't think I was
ever able to get 100%. This made me wonder if this action had been a
replacement. I don't have any history or tell-tale physical signs that would
indicate this. I guess they just thought overstriking hammers were acceptable.

I have a copy of the regulation manual for both actions, along with some notes
that one of our local techs. took during a lecture by herr Bluthner in London.
You're welcome to a copy if we can work out the logistics.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA