fortepianos

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Sun, 05 Feb 1995 11:41:55 -0600 (CST)

Someone mentioned overstriking hammers and it reminded me of our Belt
fortepiano which was evidently built to have overstriking hammers.
Since the piano is a copy of a Walter instrument of Mozart's, maybe
they didn't worry about whether the hammer hit at a 90 degree angle to
the string.

In any case, our fortepiano needs some regulation and voicing.  Does
anyone have any information on doing the job efficiently?  The
mechanism is the Viennese style and the hammers are wood with a thin
layer of leather across the crown.  I've heard threading string/yarn
between the leather and wood will soften the tone.  I am not sure how
durable the leather is.  The wire is thin and has grooved the leather
significantly.  The leather isn't cut through yet, however.   The
piano is around 10 years old so maybe new leathers are in order.  Any
help anyone has would be appreciated.

Richard West
University of Nebraska