Ugly Felt

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon, 06 Feb 1995 16:40:23 -0600

At  3:45 PM 2/4/95 -0700, stanwood wrote:

>Has anyone seen turquoise felt on an old Bechstein?
>
>Stanwood
>           ____
>          /||||\
>          (o  o)
> -----oOO--(  )--OOo----

-----------------------------

        I did not mean to fuel a topic that probably has not far to go,
but I could not resist the question.   Just two months ago I did an action
on a 1910 Bechstein and it did have that brillant turquoise blue felt on
the keyframe  which I replaced.  I do not remember the stringing felt
exactly, but it was not that same color.  Anyway,  it is reasonable that
stringing felt color is something we should wisely discuss with the
customer to see if they have strong feelings about it, hopefully without
ending up by creating more problems than we would attempt to prevent by
offering such choices.  I did not bother with that on my Bechstein project
however, the customer is pleased and was not so concerned about the color
of action felt.  I do not criticize anyone who chooses to take the extra
steps necessary to preserve orginal colors, but at least to some degree our
work is also a reflection of our own aesthetic judgements.  If you (and the
customer) dislike some cosmetic detail, then why duplicate it?   Does
anyone try to match an orginal Steinway Brown?  I doubt it.

Dennis Johnson