Damper Wheeze -Reply

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 08 Feb 1995 13:14:22 -0600

At  3:10 AM 2/8/95 -0700, Mark Story wrote:

>Norm Neblett claims to have made a living replacing dampers in this setting.
>His theory is that the problem is with the firm felt the factorys use to avoid
>regulation degredation due to compression settling. He just replaces the wedges
>with good felt. I don't recall him mentioning replacing wedges with blocks, but
>it's a thought. You're bound to give up some dampening efficiency (show me a
>Steinway that dampens thouroughly), but in this setting, it might be an
>acceptable compromise.

Bill:
        I was going to suggest softer felt as well, but the problem is that
Yamaha's damper felt is the softest I've ever seen.  I have been ordering
that stuff for all pianos some time now.  They come in strips, separate
from the red backing, and the blocks are seamed.   Sorry, if that
particular piece of felt is still good and you are stumped- than so am I.

Dennis Johnson