Wet Damping

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 11:47:30 -0500

Mark Story rote:
<<Micha Dichter (sp) complained that our Symphony Steinway D was bleeding on
some strings with half-pedal (good grief). I checked it with him, and sure
enough - though lifting properly with a visual check the (factory regulated)
dampers did bleed on a few notes. He showed me a great trick to test this.
Just half pedal, then strum the strings and the bleeders will show right up.
That, of course, is the easy part. ;) >>

You're right, that's the easy part. I have on rare occaisions shimmed up the
sustain pedal, either at the retainer J-bolt on the sustain trapwork lever or
at the underlever frame, at the height that a pianist might engage the
sustain pedal for "wet damping". With the action in, you can run up the
keyboard to find  where the uneveness lies in this wet damping. With the
action out, you can get in there and regulate to get rid of early or late
damping. Eraly notes get the underlever frame felt ironed; late ones get a
shim under the felt (or for a micro-tweek, get two voicing needles set close
together, inserted and rotated to upset the matte of fibers). All of this can
be stabilized by holding the frame up slightly from its shim point, and
droping the individual levers onto it from full height.
Yes this is still the easy part. Then you get to the business of three
strings on a note which don't extingish simultaneously. Here you're working
with the lateral spacing of strings and wedges. The regulation of vertical
spacing is reserved for open string work with the hammers. As a result, when
you get to the flats it'll be the same micro-tweeking with the pair of
needles.
Don't worry, I did say *on rare occasions*.

Bill Ballard RPT      "May you work on interesting pianos."
NH Chapter, PTG               Ancient Chinese Proverb