fortepianos

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:56:07 -0600

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, Steve Brady wrote:

>     What kind of Dampp-Chaser setup do you have in this piano? Does
> the piano have an enclosed bottom, or is the soundboard exposed? I'm
> trying to visualize putting a humidity-control system in our Regier, but
> the bottom is closed off, so I'm not clear on where it would go...

The rooms where we keep our harpsichords (rather small -- 10x8 or so) are
humidity controlled by a DamppChaser "brain" and a room humidifier.  At
one time, there was also a dehumidifier in each room but we soon
discovered that the AC managed to keep the humidity down in the wet
months just fine.  The humidifers are Bemis brand -- two tanks (I think
they're 3-4 gallons each).  Very clean, very quiet.  None of the scale
buildup like the old waterwheels.  I can't imagine that those heat bars
are going to be readily installed within the confines of a fortepiano "box."

Ron Torrella                  Self-explanatory - [A]bort [C]ancel [R]etry
University of Illinois              Inexplicable   -   + + +