SEM studies

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 21:48:10 -0600

On Thu, 16 Feb 1995, stanwood wrote:

> I beleive that a valid process for comparative studies of piano wire would
> be to cut and polish cross sections of the wire and photograph the cross
> sections under polarized light. The results should be a rather psychodelic
> representation of the crystalline structure.    No can do...
>
> Try MIT...
>
> Actually, maybe I'll try MIT.  I have some contacts there.
>
> Any word of this having been done before?

I think I remember an reading article where some kind of microscope was
used to analyze cryogenically (sp?) as well as heat treated piano wire.
If memory serves, there were differences in the crystaline structure of
the two treated samples.  There may have also been an untreated sample.
I'll have to dig around for that article....or whatever it was.  Does
this sound familiar to anyone?

Ron Torrella                  Self-explanatory - [A]bort [C]ancel [R]etry
University of Illinois              Inexplicable   -   + + +