February Journal

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 05:54:38 -0600 (CST)

Thanks Steve for the good work on this month's Journal.  The artical on
capo bars was well done.  I remember the discussion on line and you did a
nice job of editing/arranging the material.

Also in that issue on page 53 is a column by Jack Wyatt, chair of the
Trade Relations Committee, President of the Dallas Chapter and owner of
Garland Piano Co.  In it he says:

"One point we stressed was that people have a right to buy any quality
piano they choose, and other people have a right to build any quality
piano they choose.  It's not my, your or anybody else's business...."

Does that bother anyone else?  I'm politically conservative enough that I
believe it at the theoretical level, but somehow it rankles me where the
shoe leather meets the pavement.  Jack has expressed that idea in PTG
meetings and I know he believes it firmly.

I guess if honest people tell the customers that this piano was made from
recycled Cracker Jack boxes and they still want to buy it that's one
thing.  However, most of the time the only disclaimer about Doo Doo pianos
is "...well for THIS kind of money it's not a Steinway but it's really
a great beginner piano...."

I just worked on a Piano Shaped Object - one year old - made in Russia.  I
guess the dealer had the right to sell it, and the owner had the right to
buy it but I don't think he's very happy that he excercised that right.

Any comments??

Dave Porritt, RPT
SMU