piano shaped objects

mark.stivers@24stex.com mark.stivers@24stex.com
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 06:31:50 -0800

 > "One point we stressed was that people have a right to buy any
 > quality
 > piano they choose, and other people have a right to build any
 > quality
 > piano they choose.  It's not my, your or anybody else's
 > business...."

I agree with the quotation, in principle. (If I were a university technician,
like many of the PIANOTECH subscribers, I might feel differently.) You can't
force quality on people---you can only show it to them.

The piano means different things to different people. To technicians, it's a
glorious machine. To musicians, it's a tool and a torture chamber. To parents,
it's an aspect of their child's education. To others, it's a status symbol. We
shouldn't be so quick to impose our point of view on others.

I've heard wonderful music made on terrible instruments, and the reverse. We
should of course strive for excellence in what WE do, but always remember that
the ultimate goal is not (just) perfect pianos, but people making music on
them, at all levels and circumstances.

Mark Stivers
mark.stivers@24stex.com