Chickering grand brass flanges

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 21:41:32 -0500

Hello out there, anybody have input for me as I appraise a 1912 Chickering
quarter grand, beautifully refinished and ivories buffed, in good working
order but original strings, hammers and the peculiar butt plate style of
hammer flanges which are currently o.k.

1.  Does the obsolete design create a repair barrier, or has anyone shimmed
up the hammer rail and converted to the modern design?
(Repair trouble down the road means less value to the piano...)
(Customer does not currently want this conversion, just en-choiring minds
wanting to know)

2.  The drop screws pass through both the flange and the curved butt plate, I
observe, and they do not turn down currently -- is there a ridiculous twist
here?

Looking forward,
Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle
Akarab@aol.com