Damp Chasers in Schools

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 22:41:31 -0500

I haven't had good luck with installing complete Damp Chaser Units in
schools.  It seems they get neglected, especially when they really need the
attention.  Dry water buckets cause cracks in soundboards and bridges fast.
 If I were there full time I'm sure that would be different.

The best I can do for schools is install the dehumidifiers, they don't
require the maintenance and just stay plugged in all the time.  It does work
wonders even though I still have to fight the dry air in the winter.  I've
found less stress on the piano by controlling the high humidity.  I have 5
old Steinway uprights built between 1904 and 1916 at USD.  They all just have
the dehumidier and sensors.  They never go above A440 and very rarely drop
more than 5 cents.  I wish I could say the same for Baldwin 243's in practice
rooms

Churches are another matter, as most of them seem quite diligent about
filling with water when the light comes on.  They especially like less
maintenance cost because there are fewer tunings & repairs.

I have nothing but praise for the Damp Chaser products when maintained.  But
keeping them maintained is the key.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota