Baylor Job Opening

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 15:09:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> I agree with Dennis re. job requirements.. Does anyone know if Danny did
> a workup according to the CAUT guidelines?
> -any volunteers to do one?
> I played with the numbers here a few years ago and found out there were
> 1.87 of me running around, 2.2 when I teach a course.  ...and this is
> definitely not a large school!
>
> conrad
>
> --
> Conrad Hoffsommer                Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will
> Luther College                   make you sweat a lot.-Haitian proverb
> hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Danny did everything he could to convince the Administration that he was
understaffed.  We used to discuss it frequently since I have about the
same work load as he did.  The last proposal he made to the Administration
(and I think he had the Dean's backing on it) was to propose contracting
out 180 tuning jobs a year.  That would free Danny to do more of the other
kind of work without obligating the School to another employee with the
cost of benefits etc.  The Administration turned it down cold.  They
didn't approve part like 100 tunings or anything, they just rejected the
idea out of hand.  He did use the Survey, he did a separate Time/Job
survey. Nothing worked.  I'm trying some of the same ideas here.  The
situation is better now than it was, but we're not there yet (112 pianos,
me half time!)

Dave Porritt, RPT
SMU