Steinway parts

Steve Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 15:54:53 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995, Thomas Winter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I recently purchased a set of shanks & flanges and wippens from
> Steinway.  All of the pinning on these parts is very loose, one to two
> grams.  Steinway says this is normal for their high-tech bushing cloth
> and that some centers can have a near zero gram reading and still
> funcion perfectly well. But  I have always suspected loose center,
> particularly in the hammer shank and the repetion lever, of
> contributing to poor repetition.  My thinking was that the low
> friction would cause you to regulate the repetition spring weaker
> than you ordinarily would.  Has anyone else had experience with
> these parts or any thoughts on this subject?
>
> Thomas Winter
> San Francisco State University

      I agree about the loose pinning contributing to some classic
repetition problems in Steinways, and for the same reason you mention.
The best replacement shanks & flanges I've seen are the "Encore" shanks
and flanges carried by Wally Brooks. The pinning is very firm (no side play)
yet not too tight. The knuckle is small, the way it should be. They're made
by Abel. I think they're over $300 a set now, but well worth it.

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide