workload

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 10:01:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi Barbara,

>I would like to be optimistic, but I have a feeling that as long
>as I'm here, my position won't change.  It is more likely that
>when I do leave, panic will set in and they'll make the change in
>order to attract a real technician (I replaced a technician
>shaped object, who, God bless him, had very limited skills and
>was deaf.)

I've found that nothing get the administration's attention like a visit from
the NSM accredidation committee.  One of the things they look at is the
condition of the pianos.  If they're bad enough, or the school has
inadiquate arraingements for their maintenence they will hold up
accredidation.

>The nicest thing for me that has come from all this has been the
>support and appreciation expressed by the faculty--which has
>made staying on bearable.  The sweetest comment came from one of
>the piano faculty who said, "Barb, you can't leave.  If you did,
>I would have to quit playing the piano."

Norm Neblitt told me once to stay on the good side of the faculty.  Deans
come and go, but the faculty stays forever.  This is generally good advice,
but as you have learned, it isn't always enough.  Oh, by the way, Norm was
booted out of USC when a new Dean came in that didn't like him.

Mark
Mark Story, RPT

Eastern Washington University        |  mstory@ewu.edu
Cheney, Washington, USA                |  mark.story@phunnet.org