Re Key Ratio

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 17:29:20 -0500 (EST)

                         ----    ORIGINAL POSTING  ------

Can someone please clarify for me what the termination points are when
measuring for key ratio (2:1).

I attended the California convention this weekend and in a class taught by
Richard Davenport and Mark Stern it was mentioned that the capstan-balance
hole measurement is from the balance hole to the top of the capstan.  The
top is used as that is the top of the actual lever.

Now that I have returned and all that stuff is slowly sinking in I wonder
if I should be measuring to the top of the front of the key as well.

You may now submit all of your brilliant answers in an orderly fashion.

Thanks!

----
Rick Florence, Piano Technician
 Arizona State University School of Music
 Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
 Phone (602)965-6760

               --------  MY REPLY ---------

I measure from the center of the bottom of the balance rail hole (pivot point
for key) to the top of the capstan and the top of the key at the edge of the
front. I have measured many Steinways and have found the ratio to be usually
less than 2:1 and varying throughout individual keyboards. As you deviate from
2:1 -- getting closer to 1:1 -- pianos in general feel heavier. Be careful about
making any conclusions regarding touch resistance, however, when measuring just
the key ratios in a piano; there are many other factors involved.

David Stanwood (who has several technicians measuring different pianos for him)
I believe measures to the middle of the key front. Actually where on the top of
the key front is not actually very important as long as you are consistent when
developing a data base for comparison. It propbably would be a good idea to
establish some sort of norm so that we could communicate more effectively about
key ratios.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory