boycotts, etc.

mark.stivers@24stex.com mark.stivers@24stex.com
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 07:44:30 -0800

 > APSCO and I had a "falling out" over a bass string order that took
 > inordinately long to get out in, oh, 1986?  They (Schad jr.) and I
 > ended
 > up suggesting, respectively, that I'd be happier doing business
 > elsewhere, and I'm happy to say I've avoided doing business with
 > them
 > ever since.  Granted, I don't do high volume rebuilding, so have
 > always
 > been able to get what I needed elsewhere, but it seems to me we have
 >
 > other suppliers these days with the variety and quality of parts
 > needed.
 > Maybe a
 > healthy boycott of APSCO might send them the message that service
 > counts!

In a shrinking market, I don't think we can afford to lash out at any piano
company.

On PIANOTECH, I read a lot about people's conflicts with colleagues, customers,
and companies, and the solution always seems to be angry confrontation. I can't
remember anyone ever suggesting trying to see the other side's point of view.

When you don't like someone's behavior, you can say to them, "You idiot! Can't
you see what you're doing to me!" If you are powerful enough, you may get your
way, but it will poison your relationship in the long run. You get a reputation
as a whiner.

The other approach is to understand the other person's world view and goals.
Listen to them. Talk to them in such a way that demonstrates that you do
honestly understand their point of view. Then---and here is the hard
part---show how, by adjusting their behavior in the way YOU want, it will also
benefit THEM.

This is difficult, and it may not work all the time, but I don't see how it
could be worse than throwing a fit when you don't get your way.

So please don't boycott APSCO. If you have a problem---write, fax, or phone a
non-sarcastic message. Honestly, I've found very few companies that don't WANT
to give good service, even if they slip up sometimes.

Mark Stivers
mark.stivers@24stex.com