boycotts, etc.

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 17:54:46 -0600

On Mon, 27 Feb 1995 mark.stivers@24stex.com wrote:

...snip...

> The other approach is to understand the other person's world view and goals.
> Listen to them. Talk to them in such a way that demonstrates that you do
> honestly understand their point of view. Then---and here is the hard
> part---show how, by adjusting their behavior in the way YOU want, it will also
> benefit THEM.

...snip...

> So please don't boycott APSCO. If you have a problem---write, fax, or phone a
> non-sarcastic message. Honestly, I've found very few companies that don't WANT
> to give good service, even if they slip up sometimes.

Forgive me, but this sounds pathetically wishy-washy.  Come on, "adjusting
their behavior in the way YOU want!!???  Whether or not a company *wants*
to give good service doesn't mean much when they don't give a rip in the
first place!  APSCO *knows* it has a corner on the market -- it has a firm
grip on the gonads of piano technicians -- so whether or not APSCO gives
good service _just_doesn't_matter_!!!  Schad's attitude reflects this...if
you don't believe me, spend some time with him in a bar at convention
sometime.  You'll see what I mean.

Isolated instances of wanton disregard for customers' requests for
expeditious service also shows a general lack of concern for customer
satisfaction.  I'm no business graduate, but I *do* understand that
customer satisfaction is very high on the list of priorities a company
must set in a *competitive* market.  This isn't a very competitive market
-- so customer satisfaction is easy to toss aside.

Just my opinion.  No flames intended.  No offenses intended.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette