Center Pin Lubricants

John Baird 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 03:18:35 -0500 (EST)

Newton Hunt recently told about using WD-40 to free up tight Asian
centers.  This reminded me that I have about 15 ml of the stuff
Bosendorfer uses on center pins.  It's called Ballistol-Klever "Das
altbewaehrte Spezialoel".

I've kept the nearly empty bottle, which was given to me by a visiting
technician from Jasper, IN about three years ago, because it had an
interesting smell, and because I was amused by the claims on the label.
Has anyone tried this, and does Ballistol indicates what kind of oil this
is? "Klever" is the name of the chemical-pharmaceutical factory in Aham
(Austria?).

I did try it on a few sample flanges--it seemed to free them up fine, and
three years later they are still free--didn't gum up as we've been warned
WD-40 will do (or used to do).

But now to the label.  It gives no hint of the chemical makeup, but does
provide for some amusing reading.  I mean, this stuff has A LOT of uses:

It'll clean and protect guns and their mechanisms, cares for and protects
machines, gadgets and tools, protects chrome, steel, iron, softens dry
leather, protects against water and decay.  You can use it on sewing
machines, door locks, bicycles, and it cares for natural wood.  You can
use it on *yourself* too!  It soothes sunburn, frostbite "und
Insektenstichen".  It'll keep mites and ticks away.

The label doesn't mention using it on center pins, or for that matter, as
a salad dressing, but Bosendorfer apparently likes it.  For center pins
I'll stick with Protek for now.  For salad dressing, frankly, I'm
wavering (the intriguing smell).

John Baird, RPT   Gotti's Tax Tip:  "You can deduct the whole piano,
                  even if you just bought it for the wire."
                  --Mafia gangster John Gotti (or maybe David Letterman)