Mason BB Grand problems

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 07:26:47 -0600 (CST)

Dave, Welcome!  I've heard the term "stiction" used in des-
cribing those stuck strings.  Perhaps if the soda is the
problem, cleaning/restringing is the only solution.  When I
started at Illinois Wesleyan, there were several pianos with
stiction due to old rusty strings and worn capo bars.  Yikes,
I was at wit's end.  Taking a chance, I went to the local
Napa (auto supply) store, bought some Marvel Mystery Oil--
suggested by a friend--and put a tiny, tiny amount at the
point where the strings meet the agraffe or capo bar.  I've
used both a small artist's brush and a wedge of hammer felt.
One must use this with extreme care so it does not drip and
since this stuff will creep, care must be taken that it
doesn't creep up the string into the pinblock.  Since the
pianos I was treating, were in such horrible shape, I didn't
have much to lose.  The pianos still, after five years, re-
spond quite well.  And, praise God, IWU is finally gearing
up for a rebuilding program (sometimes it takes a while to
educate educators).  This is probably one of those solutions
that one is never supposed to use and I may have my RPT-dom
stripped for suggesting it.  Just remember, don't use enough
Marvel Mystery Oil that it could possibly drip, and be sure
to use Marvel Mystery Oil--no other--it doesn't have a bad
smell and it does the job.  No, I don't hold stock in MMO.

Good luck!

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois